Monday, April 8, 2013

Proto-Calling All Seekers!

So about 2 1/2 weeks after I blogged in February, my entire family came down with the FLU. Ugh. It was awful. Here's what happened:

Saturday, Feb 16th, we all went to bed, myself a bit eager for Sunday for two reasons. #1, Ab was headed to a regional spelling competition with the Knights of Columbus and I was going to be taking her. #2, it was my birthday. What a great way to spend a special day... enjoying one of my kiddos' academic excellence, even in the face of this disease.

Well, about 30 minutes before the stroke of midnight, my hubby and I were startled awake by Ab blasting through our door, exclaiming "Reb's barfing!" Well, she sleeps on the top bunk, so that was not going to be a fun way to spend the next half hour or so... Nick took to cleaning the bed while I cleaned the child.

We went back to bed, but I basically got to "enjoy" the wee early hours of my birthday by running every 20 minutes to the "sickie bed" when Reb would get sick again and again.

Plans didn't change, however, for Ab and myself. We went to the competition where she took 3rd place and a bronze medal. I am so so proud of that girl!
What we didn't know was that we probably ended up infecting quite a few people while there. Not the best gift, but when you don't know you're giving it away, what can you do? Kind of like congenital Lyme and my family. The unknown gift that keeps on giving. Until now, that is.

Anyway, Ab got sick Sunday evening. Reb was still sick. Then Monday came. Nick got home from work to find me, a lump of nothingness on the couch... Stomach pain. Him too. We sat there, feeling green. All of a sudden, Nick got up and went to speak to the porcelain god. The second time I've ever heard him be sick in the 15 years that I've known him. Seriously.

I sat on the couch, thinking how I was not feeling well and the bathroom on this level was occupied for the moment, and realized that I should begin my trek up the stairs as it takes me so long to climb Mount Staircase with my legs so afflicted by Lyme.

It was a grand decision. I got to the upstairs bathroom just in time. Ugh. Now the only one not sick was our middle daughter, Mir.

Nick and I lay in our bed, trying not to move for the pain, unless it was to the bathroom for another "yelling" match between ourselves and the echoing toilet bowl. How awful this flu was!!

Tuesday rolled around to find our last healthy kid incapacitated as well. At least she's the easy one. When she's sick, you wouldn't even know unless you walked in on the act. At age 7 (and earlier!) she does her business and cleans up, then it's back to bed and no one knows anything even happened. It definitely was the best order!

So... during all of that turmoil and suffering, we had some great friends bring by the root beer popsicles that were suggested by my home care nurse as well as some caffeine-free coke to drink room temp and flat. Yuck. But again, it did the trick.

The best decision we made was to have another dear friend bring over her last diffuser she had in stock so that I could diffuse some Thieves essential oil blend from Young Living. I began looking more into the essential oils and realized how amazing they are. They are like the life force of plants and work within our own bodies to help facilitate healing and wellness!

I will leave that little tidbit for you to chew on until next time. But this is the starting point of probably the best decision I could have made in a long time... Maybe since I decided to marry my husband and then have his children. Really. It's that good of a decision.

Until next time... Keep your chins up and steady on.


  1. My family uses the Thieves Oil too, and LOVE it!! If I use it as soon as I start showing signs of a stomach bug, it completely stops it in it's tracks. Amazing stuff!!

    1. It is amazing, isn't it?? There are SO many amazing oils and blends. Such great stuff!