Saturday, March 17, 2012

How We Roll

Today I realized (like I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before... you get the idea, I am forgetful sometimes...) that I haven't updated in a while. Today's the day!

I thought it would be a good idea to tell (and show) you all why I can't work right now. Today, as I sit on my couch, legs elevated and arms hurting, I realize how truly sick this disease makes me physically. Over the last two days, I have been organizing all of the yarn and craft-type "stuff" that I have accumulated through the years.

It's amazing how much I have inherited from grandparents, found at rummage sales, purchased because I couldn't live without making something with "this awesome chunky yarn" or "that delicious colored yarn in that natural fiber," etc. It adds up. To a lot. It's almost embarrassing to see how much I have while only being in my mid-30s!
Yarn, yarn, yarn... Yes, even in the striped bag.
Anyway, to make this story short(er), I sorted, de-tangled and de-knotted the boxes and boxes of various yarns, so it could go into these great plastic storage drawers that a dear friend had given to me. I also went through 4 boxes of "stuff." You know, the stuff that we placed in the room in the basement when we moved here... more than 4 years ago... The "stuff" that memories are made of...

I almost couldn't get myself up the stairs to bed, because I had been sorting YARN while sitting down all day. It takes both arms and both legs to get me up the stairs; using the hand rail and the opposite wall to help as my legs just won't do it on their own... SO co-dependent with those arms! 

So when I got to the boxes of "stuff," one box was a box of science books. Heavy. So I used my legs to slide it out of the room. And here I sit today, recovering.

I mean, could you imagine me at a job? Where I would have to "do"... anything at all consistently? I'd be fired. So, what do I do to keep myself "alive"? I volunteer for the Wisconsin Lyme Network as Secretary and on the Board of Directors. And this is what it looks like when I have a mid-morning meeting. Notice the three chairs I have lined strategically... Yup.
That's me, listening to my friend who is across the table... And yes, that's decaf and sugar-free coffee!
My meds have this nauseating affect on me. Every day, twice a day, I get like this. For about 1-2 hours at a time. Fun, right? 

Ladies and gents, when you're in the Lyme world, that's just how you roll. 

I know it won't be forever... But until that happens, sporadic moments of organization--as long as it's as light as yarn--and sitting-optional meetings are just what life is.


No comments:

Post a Comment